Senior Services of Northern Kentucky provides several important services to our area’s elderly population:
• Nutrition: Senior Services of Northern Kentucky IS Meals on Wheels in Northern Kentucky, delivering delicious and nutritious chilled-to-hot daily and weekly meals to seniors in the 8 counties of Northern Kentucky. Many seniors are eligible for free meals; others may purchase meals at a low affordable price. Contact your Case Manager or the SSNK Nutrition Department 859-292-7964 to begin receiving home delivered meals. SSNK also provides Emergency Meals to those in dire need of immediate assistance in meeting their nutritional needs. Our Seniors Only Food Pantry is located at 1032 Madison Ave in Covington and is open on Thursdays from 9:30-2:30. Proof of Age is required. Donations for the SSNK Food Pantry are accepted every weekday from 8:30am-5pm.
• Transportation: Seniors, disabled persons and Medicaid recipients living within SSNK’s eight-county service area can get free or low-cost transportation to medical appointments, chemotherapy, and dialysis and other non-emergency medical appointments. Some areas offer transportation to grocery stores, pharmacies and senior centers as well. Call 859-292-7945 for more information and to schedule transportation services.
• Senior Centers: SSNK operates 10 Senior Activity Centers in Northern Kentucky offering weekday activities including bingo, card games, Wii, exercise classes, computer access with Wi-Fi, financial literacy classes, health screenings and a midday meal. But the most important part of the Senior Activity Center experience is the friendships that develop there along with a sense of community and belonging. Senior Activity Centers are located in: Walton, Florence, Carroll County, Warsaw, Williamstown, Elsmere, Covington, Ludlow, Owen County and Falmouth.
• Ombudsmen: SSNK’s Long-term Care Ombudsman and Volunteers act as an advocate for the rights of seniors residing in nursing and personal care homes as well as help resolve complaints. They visit the 2800 long term care residents in Northern Kentucky, making sure they are treated with dignity and respect and are receiving quality care. Call 859-292-7969 for more information.
• NEXT ACT: NEXT ACT is an initiative by SSNK to assist skilled professionals, age 50 and older, transition back into the workforce, or find a new purpose by volunteering or entrepreneurism. NEXT ACT clients have recently lost their jobs due to downsizing or early retirement, or are looking to improve their current employment situation. The program includes seminars and a personal job coach. For more information, contact Mariann Dunn at email@example.com or phone 859-491-0522.
• Volunteers: SSNK was founded by a group of volunteers in 1962 and volunteers continue to be an integral part of helping seniors remain independent and living in their own homes. Volunteers help seniors with a variety of tasks including grocery shopping, light housekeeping, laundry, yard work, home repairs, friendly visits or reassurance phone calls and much more. Volunteer your time to help NKY seniors Live Well. Age Well. Click for a list of current opportunities. Call 859-292-7979 for more information.
• Information and Assistance: SSNK Social Service Case Aides provide needed information and assistance to seniors struggling through the maze of available programs and services. They do in-home evaluations and while fostering the independent spirit, help clients secure the resources they need to continue to live in their own homes. Call 859-491-0522 to get help finding the services that are right for you or your loved one.
In addition, Senior Services of Northern Kentucky offers an AniMeals program, which helps needy seniors feed their pet cats and dogs. This program keeps the elderly from having to share their meager food resources with their pets.